Monday, December 5, 2011

Advent, advent

Advent, Advent, 
ein Lichtlein brennt
erst eins, dann zwei, dann drei, dann vier
Dann steht das Christkind vor der Tür.
DIY Advent Calendars
My mom taught me this little poem when I was very young. It's literal translation is "Advent, advent, the little light shines. First one, then two, then three, then four, then stands the Christ child at the door." We always celebrated Advent growing up, and I loved it. Advent is basically the season of waiting for Christmas to come. It's a beautiful time of anticipation and hope, and there are plenty of symbolic traditions to go along with it, first and foremost being the advent calendar. A traditional advent calendar usually has 24 doors (sometimes 25 in the US) and you open a door every day starting with the first of December and leading up to Christmas eve or Christmas day. Behind these doors is some sort of treat, whether it be candy, a picture, or an ornament for the tree. Today there is an endless variety of advent calendars, and I thought I'd celebrate the season by sharing them with you. I've categorized them for you viewing pleasure. Enjoy! -hil

Garland Advent Calendars

German Advent Calendars
More calendars after the jump!


Modern Advent Calendars
Nativity Advent Calendars

3D Advent Calendars

Traditional Advent Calendars

No comments:

Post a Comment