Thursday, September 22, 2011

by it's cover

This morning while perusing our bookshelf, I came across my copy of The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon. This was the first book by said author I ever read, and it lead me to read one of my favorite books of all time, also by him: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, which I highly recommend.

I realized today that I might never have come upon either of these books had it not been for Pittsburgh's clever cover design. You see, a clothing store won't make me suddenly loose with my pocketbook. Electronics won't threaten my bank account. But put me in a bookstore and suddenly I have a stack of books I can't live without and I'm ready to blow our budget on them. I just love owning the books I read. I feel quite comforted by them, really. And a smart cover design doesn't hurt things. In fact, unless I'm searching for a certain title, cover design is usually the number one reason I'll select a specific tome off the shelf. This is exactly what happened with Chabon's first novel. And then I read it and liked it and read more.

So it occurred to me finally to see who had done this cover I so enjoyed. Designer Rodrigo Corral has done a ton of very recognizable work, including other book covers you'd be familiar with: a ton of Chuck Palahnuik and the iconic A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. I think one of the reasons I am so drawn to his work is he seems to really recognize the beauty of type. Also he often uses only a compelling photograph with the type placed just in the spot you want it, and I love that sort of graphic design. So, a few more covers to feast your eyes on. Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment