Thursday, October 20, 2011

Useful Advice from Miranda July

I'm in the middle of a pretty sizable graphic design project right now. My goal is to finish it by the end of the week, but I feel like I'm stuck in molasses trying to run. I feel extremely privileged and excited to be working with this organization because I love their cause and I've wanted to volunteer time with them for years. I've really enjoyed developing the project, too. It's only that graphic design is a little more difficult for me so I move a little slower doing it. It just makes for a more deliberate process. Thus it has been incredibly important for me to flee all distractions this week because I can be a marvelous procrastinator. I ran across this video from Miranda July and thought it very apt:
Obviously I can't physically trap my laptop for this particular task, but I can still put restrictions on other computer-related distractions. Anti-Social is a smart little app I read about in a Michael Hyatt blog a couple months ago. It allows you to use your computer but it blocks all social aspects of the internet, i.e. Facebook, Twitter and the like. You have to restart your computer to get rid of it. Maybe a good metaphysical version of the hostage situation in the video above. Do you have any good advice for how to stay on task? -hil

No comments:

Post a Comment